Friday, August 20, 2010

An Update

So it looks like I have finally gotten some details worked out regarding my next internship, and my life, for that matter.

Originally my wife and I thought it would be in our best interest for her to move to Syracuse in August and for me to finish up my classes and internship here in DC and then move to New York in December. But after sitting down and crunching the numbers, we decided that it made much more sense financially for us to stick together and to avoid paying rent in two places. Even though we will be replacing my income with hers rather than gaining a second salary, the cost of living in Syracuse is much lower than in DC which will make it much easier to make ends meet. I have to admit, while it has been a good decision for me to work for GW and receive tuition benefits, it was still quite difficult for two people (both in school) to live off of one base salary in the DC area.

So, we are moving my wife up to NY tomorrow and I will follow in a couple of weeks. We have been super busy this week between trying to pack up the necessities for her (since I will be keeping all of the furniture for the next two weeks) and painting our current apartment. Our cats have had a blast with the jungle gym of furniture that we had to create in order to make room for painting [*note to self—never try to paint a one bedroom apartment with the furniture still in it].

As for my internship, I have secured a position with the Syracuse University Art Galleries, with their design team, which I think will a great experience. I’m not exactly sure what I will be doing yet, but in my phone interview with their director, we discussed my interest in exhibit graphics and space planning, as well as fabrication. I haven’t done much fabrication, outside of a painting for my first exhibit design class, but I know it would be tremendously useful for the design process to understand the materials and what goes into building an exhibit. The director did emphasize that he wanted to make sure that my experience at the art galleries enhanced my degree and gave me the experience I want, so I feel confident that I will gain some valuable insight with this internship. I will be meeting with the director and some of the designers on staff during my first week up in Syracuse and hopefully I will start soon after that!

I plan to continue to blog during my coming internship, since it is still part of my GW degree and I will also be taking an online class to finish my coursework requirements.

All in all, lots of exciting and new experiences coming my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment